The Chasiv Yar housing block, in the Ukrainian city of Donetsk, was destroyed today by rockets believed to have been fired from Russian territory by pro-Russian separatists who are currently fighting against the Ukrainian government. The attack resulted in at least 15 civilian deaths, according to emergency responders on the scene. Although Russian officials have denied these claims, many international news outlets are reporting that it is likely that the separatist forces were using military equipment that had been provided by Russia as part of their ongoing campaign against the Ukrainian government and its people.
On Saturday morning
15 people were killed and dozens more injured when a rocket hit a residential building in the town of Chasiv Yar, in eastern Ukraine. The attack came just hours after Russia had announced that it was pulling its troops back from the border with Ukraine.
Ukrainian officials said that the rocket was fired from inside Russia and that it was a terrorist act. Russia has denied any involvement in the attack. Witnesses said the firing was coming from across the border with Russia.
A minibus driver who had taken people out of town described chaotic scenes at the site
I was driving a minibus out of town when the rocket hit. I saw the smoke and flames and rushed over to see if I could help. There were people screaming and crying everywhere. It was total chaos. I’m just glad I could help get some people out of there.
Fifteen people were confirmed dead by evening. The next day, there were still 20 victims missing.
On Tuesday night, a series of Russian rocket attacks killed 15 people in the Chasiv Yar housing block in eastern Ukraine. 20 more people are still missing. The Ukrainian government has condemned the attacks and called for an immediate ceasefire.
OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe) observers visited the site on Sunday afternoon.
It is with great sadness that we can confirm that 15 people were killed and 28 wounded when a number of rockets hit a residential area in the town of Chasiv Yar, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said in a statement.
We condemn this senseless act of violence and call on all parties to the conflict to respect the ceasefire and return to the negotiating table, he added.
Detailed News – https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62113185