In an effort to save the taxpayers around $2.5 billion per year, the Trump administration is all set to put forward s rile that would cut off about 3.1 million Americans from the program called food-stamp. The reports speculated this on Tuesday.
Since the United States has very low levels of unemployment, this has led to the belief that it is a major factor in low levels of participation in the program. Even Donald Trump tweeted earlier this month that food stamp use is at a ten year lowest mark and Politifact have verified this claim.
Reuters reported that the US residents of 43 states who are currently receiving help from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) enroll automatically in the food-stamp program commonly known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistant Program Or SNAP. Reuters reported this citing the US Department of Agriculture, which also thinks to review the TANF cases to see and witness if participants qualify for the program.
The US Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue said in a conference call that, “This proposal will save money and preserve the integrity of the program”. He further added that, “SNAP should be a temporary safety net”.
Formerly known as the Food Stamps Program, SNAP is a federal funded program that helps with the grocery needs for people who work with low wages and incomes and who are living in the US. To qualify for this scheme, the residents of the US must make 130 percent or less of the federal poverty level based on the size of the household.
This move by Donald Trump was, however, also criticized by people who are thinking it as yet another mad and unplanned tactic of the President. Sen. Debbie Stabenow criticized this decision by the Trump government saying that it is another attempt made by Trump to circumvent Congress and make changes to nutrition assistance that would be harmful and also were repeatedly rejected on a bipartisan basis. Debbie said this while talking to The Washington Post.