Who Owns MSNBC? MSNBC has a reputation as being one of the most liberal TV networks in the United States, but did you know that it’s actually owned by conservative media mogul Rupert Murdoch? Or that Time Warner (CNN) was originally part of the same company as Fox News?
The answer to that question and others like it may surprise you if you’re not familiar with the media conglomerates in this country. So, let’s take a look at who really owns MSNBC, CNN, FOX News, ABC News, CBS News and other big news networks to better understand why we get the news we do on these programs. Who Owns MSNBC?
Comcast – MSNBSCNBC’s parent company
Comcast is the largest cable company in the United States, and it also owns NBCUniversal. NBCUniversal, in turn, owns MSNBC. So, technically, Comcast is MSNBC’s parent company. However, there is more to the story than that.
In 2007, General Electric (GE) merged with the French media conglomerate Vivendi, giving GE control of NBCUniversal. But in 2011, GE sold 80% of its stake in NBCUniversal to Comcast. In 2013, GE bought out Vivendi’s remaining 20% stake for $18 billion.
NBCUniversal – A subsidiary of Comcast
Comcast is the largest cable company in the United States, and NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. In 2011, Comcast acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal, and the two companies have been partners ever since. Today, Comcast owns 51% of NBCUniversal, while General Electric (GE) owns 49%.
NBCU Owned Television Stations Group
In 2011, Comcast completed its merger with NBCUniversal, and as part of the deal, assumed control of the NBCU Owned Television Stations Group. This group includes ten NBC-affiliated stations and seventeen Telemundo-affiliated stations.
In total, these stations reach over 27 million households across the country. So when you’re watching MSNBC, know that Comcast is the one ultimately in charge.
Non-NBC Owned Televisions Stations Group
In 2011, Comcast acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal, and with it came a controlling interest in MSNBC. But who else owns the network? According to recent reports, the answer is: a lot of people.
Mircrosoft Corporation – $500 million
Liacouras Company – $300 million
Liberty Media Corporation – $225 million
Thomson Reuters – $200 million
General Electric Company – $200 million
Universal News Group
MSNBC is owned by the Universal News Group, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal. NBCUniversal is itself a subsidiary of Comcast. So, in short, Comcast owns MSNBC. This isn’t terribly surprising, as Comcast also owns a number of other news networks, including CNBC, NBC News, and Telemundo.
Nevertheless, it’s worth remembering that if you’re watching MSNBC at work or on your mobile device at lunchtime, you’re still technically working for Comcast.
Who Owns MSNBC?
MSNBC is a cable news channel that is owned by NBCUniversal News Group, a division of NBCUniversal (which itself is a subsidiary of Comcast). NBCUniversal News Group also owns and operates the other NBC News channels, including CNBC, NBC Nightly News, and more. So, while Comcast technically doesn’t own MSNBC outright, they do have a large say in what goes on at the network.
Is MSNBC still owned by Microsoft?
Microsoft is pulling out of the joint venture that owned MSNBC.com, freeing the world’s largest software maker to build its own online news service. The breakup announced late Sunday dissolves the final shreds of a 16-year marriage between Microsoft Corp. and NBC News, which is now owned by Comcast Corp (Who Owns MSNBC?).
Are CNN and MSNBC owned by the same company?
No. CNN is owned by AT&T’s Warner Media company and MSNBC is owned by the NBCUniversal News Group, a unit of the NBCUniversal Television Group division of NBCUniversal (all of which are ultimately owned by Comcast).
Who owns NBC CNBC MSNBC?
|Parent||NBCUniversal News Group|
|Sister channels||CNBC World MSNBC NBC USA Network Golf Channel Syfy E! Sky News|
It’s hard to find educated people about this
subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking