Accidents can turn out to be minor or severe depending on the impact brought about by a car crash, workplace safety hazard, or negligence. Of course, your initial response should be to contact the emergency hotline to ensure everyone is removed from the accident area to a safe place. It’s also crucial to contact the police to get everything documented properly to process the evidence required for claims and litigation.
However, should you also call a lawyer after an accident? Find out the answer and more by reading below.
Every Accident Involves Legalities
It’s technically true that every accident involves legalities. Whether you have sustained minor abrasions or cuts or severe injuries that would incapacitate you from working for an extended period of time, every injury has a corresponding responsibility and accountability. The accident could be caused by another person’s recklessness or a company’s negligence in safety measures and policies.
That’s why hiring a West Virginia attorney can help you understand the legal grounds of every personal injury case. Some examples of personal injury cases that a personal injury lawyer can handle include the following:
- Car accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Truck accident
- Workplace injury
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Product defects
Filing A Case Within The Statute Of Limitations
One major reason why a personal injury case fails is when it exceeds the statute of limitations. This pertains to the time period a victim can file a personal injury claim from the date of the accident. This term also applies from the time the first signs and symptoms occurred, or when damages have been realized as a result of an accident or harm.
Filing for personal injury compensation after the statutes of limitations would lead to a dismissed case. For this reason, it’s crucial to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer to determine whether or not you have a claim or not. And this step should be done as soon as possible, right after the injury.
The list below states how an attorney can help you when filing a case:
- Legal Advocate: A personal injury lawyer serves as your legal representative who can tell you the important next steps, requirements, and other legal details of your case for successful outcomes.
- Make Sure To Present Substantial Evidence: A personal injury lawyer will ensure that all possible evidence will be gathered and preserved to prove your claim.
- Negotiate: An experienced lawyer has excellent negotiation skills and will talk to the insurance company of the at-fault party to provide you with a fair settlement. Otherwise, your lawyer would willingly take the case to court for you to be awarded the maximum compensation you rightfully deserve.
Prevent Justice From Being Delayed
Procrastinating on getting legal help would delay the due process. Consulting a lawyer right after an accident would be to your greatest advantage. You’ll get expert legal advice, including the following:
- Determine the real cause of the accident by gathering and preserving all evidence.
- Keeping your silence until your lawyer arrives. Sometimes, people say things that can actually incriminate themselves or potentially admit fault, even with a simple sorry.
- Actionable steps to take a right after the accident, such as taking photos or video and getting the contact info of possible witnesses for evidence.
- Get properly compensated for all damages you have sustained because of the accident, including hospitalization expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of companionship.
How To Choose A Lawyer
It’s essential to check the lawyer’s credentials and reputation by checking reviews, seeking referrals from family or friends, and checking how long the lawyer has been practicing personal injury law. Also, you can check the status and reputation of a personal injury lawyer in respected legal organizations and with your local authorities.
It’s crucial to consider the bulk of cases the lawyer handles which should be similar to yours to ensure full expertise in handling such a case. Interview your prospective lawyer to get an insight into their expertise and soft skills. Ask about how the law firm manages cases and how they like their legal services to get paid.
Call a lawyer as soon as you can after an accident. As early as now, you should have the contact number of a personal injury lawyer in your phone book in case of emergencies. If you get involved in an accident, you have to make sure you’re safe and have contacted emergency responders. After that, you can dial the contact number of your lawyer to get expert legal advice. By doing so, it will ensure that justice will be served and you’ll get the right compensation for damages you’ve suffered.
Read More News at Storify News – Understand the Latest News Updates